Sunday, January 14, 2007

Holy Snowdrifts, Batman!

It's official, I have returned from my hiatus on blogging and knitting. Winter break has that kind of effect on me. Everything gets put on hold except watching TV in my pajamas and eating freakish quantities of food. But my beloved mother's birthday shocked me back out of my knitting slump. I never did finish the hat I promised her for Christmas... actually I never even started it (BAD HOBBIT!). But in a grand effort to redeem myself, I have a hat and wristlet set knitted and waiting her arrival on Monday. They're knitted in Noro Silk Garden, in my very own, very first pattern! Can you believe it? Me! I made a pattern! Well ok, the wristlets were a pattern mod from someone else, but the hat is mine. My own. My precious. I can't post photos until she actually receives, and even then it will be a challenge to capture her on film. She's one of the rare, elusive ex-Texas homecoming queens. And while aging has treated her very well and she is still gorgeous, she still dodges the camera at every possible chance.

In other news, Winter '07 officially started on January 12th. I don't count the 1st - 11th, since we had absolutely no snow. None. But a large winter storm moved our way, and dumped about a foot of snow on the 12th. I spent about 20 minutes just brushing massive quantities of snow off my car. My father eschews all things winter-y, and seemed generally amused at my irritation with the car-snow scenario. He keeps up this weird hope that, the more he pokes fun at the weather here, I'll magically realize that winter sucks and I should move back to the desert. But I have a better solution to all of this: I just need a garage. I don't mind the cold or the having to warm up the car. I just mind having to spend 20 minutes of my "could be sleeping" time brushing off a snowdrift.

2 comments:

Karin said...

I need to end my hiatus soon too. I have started writing my own patterns lately too. It's pretty fun and not really so hard huh.

Anonymous said...

We haven't had any measurable snow here in Boston. And I don't miss it!