Friday, November 17, 2006

Survey says!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love to knit with merino, and soft wool blends. Anything that is so soft that it induces fondling. I fondle my yarn people. I HATE red heart. It's such a scratchy yarn, its awful. Oh, and chenille. @#$&*%! chenille. Soft and cushy yes, but a bitch and a half to knit with.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a couple needle rolls, one for straights, and one for DPNs and circulars.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting a couple years now. Taught myself everything, from reading books and online tutorials. I'm intermediate. I'm not afraid to try anything, the only thing that defeats me are long projects. Sweaters and garments have eluded me thus far.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
http://www.wists.com/halblingefrau

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I love the smell of real orange blossoms, but it tends to be too intense in its manufactured form. I also like patchouli, and this scented oil called "Egyptian Goddess." And just in case you're wondering, I do in fact shave my pits.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love sweets a bit too much. Chocolate is my vice over other types of sugar. Dark chocolate is best, but good quality milk chocolate is also appreciated. I have recently found an affinity for gummi Life Savers too.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I sew on a machine, and I'm teaching myself to crochet. I spin with a drop spindle, but I am salivating over the pretty Kromski wheels I've seen. I also stencil and make jewelry.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a lot of music but I hate rap and R&B. Don't particularly like Country but there are some exceptions. I love old rock (Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in particular), as well as some of the old 90s alternative bands.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I have a lot of browns and blues in my closet. I'm trying to branch out though. I'm told that rosy pinks and deep reds look good on me. I like black but usually don't dress in all black except when I'm trying to go a bit more formal. Pink is ok for me, but I like it paired with brown a lot more. I dislike yellow, pastels, and bright colors (eg. I prefer navy blue to royal blue, sage green to bright green, etc.).

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my boyfriend and our 4 fur children... our cats. We have 2 boys and 2 girls and they are spoiled brats. I also have 2 gerbils and 2 fish tanks (one 30gal planted and one 2gal betta tank).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I hate mittens but I will wear gloves. I like fingerless gloves a lot, since my computer is close to a drafty window. I used to not wear scarves until I started knitting. Now I love them, but only if they're soft. My neck is sensitive and itchy-ness is bad. Ponchos make me look like a barn... I generally avoid them. Hats are necessary here at 7500ft. and I wear them often, even in summer (ok, the real reason is that I have disobedient hair and it's easier to cover it up than try to fix it).

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love to make fingerless gloves, hats, and I'm starting my first sock project (I've made felted slippers, but those are on huge needles and I don't consider them a "sock"). I don't particularly love scarves mostly because I get really tired of them about halfway through. I love to knit bags, as I am a bit of a purse-a-holic.

13. What are you knitting right now?
FuzzyFeet for my dad, socks for me, bag for me, scarf for friend.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh I love it. I love it as much as getting tools to MAKE handmade gifts. :)

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love circs and DPNs. I will knit on straights, but I prefer wood or the flexible Bryspun. I hate aluminum straights. They hurt my hands. I just ordered the KnitPicks Options set, but I wish it came with a 16" length. I guess I'll have to learn the magic loop technique.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have two swifts, one made by my dad. I have a notespinne, but I suck at hand winding. I want a ball winder for Christmas.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Longer than a year. I have a tank top out of microspun that is about 66% finished, but I just can't seem to pick it up again.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I LOVE halloween because I love spooky movies and stuff, but overall I love Christmas. I just love the cozy winter, the decorations, cookies, carols, etc. Plus the presents. I mean come on, everyone loves presents.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn (my stash is growing), boxes, interesting glass bottles, cool pens. I guess books too, I have literally almost a ton.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Gosh, I would just love some Lantern Moon needles.... pretty. I also absolutely love Addi Turbo circulars and bryspun DPNs. I would love some great books on socks, but I mostly already have the books I have coveted (manic spending spree on Amazon one night). I have no knitting magazine subs, however. I don't know which are good and interesting, and which are (what I call) obnoxious and pretentious. Any suggestions?

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm trying to learn fair isle, and I would love to make a chullo. Getting better at lace would also be nice. I can read a pattern and all, but I have never had the patience to make anything large and lacy.

22. Are you a sock knitter?
I am just starting socks. I love handknit socks, but I'm not sure how I like knitting with 0's... it sure takes forever. Maybe I'd like it better if I did something other than just stockinette stitch the whole time. Booooring.

No comments: