Thursday, November 23, 2006

Ate turkey, must contemplate cookies

With much feasting and general stuffing of faces behind us, I decided to turn my attention towards Christmas cookies. When I was a child, we lived out in the country where people still brought over a fruitcake at Christmastime... only we were REALLY lucky because our neighbor pooh-poohed the fruitcake and brought over a mad plate of cookies. There must have been at least 20 different kinds (the same neighbor also baked a cake each year for grandma's birthday on Christmas... what a lovely neighbor, no?). In a fit of nostalgia, I decided I wanted to recreate the Christmas cookie plate of old. But on my scale, i.e. 8 to 10 kinds of cookies and not 20. I raided our Christmas decorations today, trying to ferret out those tacky old cookie tins so I can pass out home-baked goodness to all my friends (that and I'm a bit poor this Christmas, so cookies are about the only gifts I can afford to give). I might end up dropping some dough (HAH, I'm such a dork!) on quality disposable plates and go the Easter-basket-cellophaned route. Anyway, here is the menu this year:
  • Brown Eyed Susans
  • Birds' Nests
  • Walnut Fudge
  • Linzer Cookies
  • Spritz Cookies
  • Basic "I Need Comfort" Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Chocolate Crackle Cookies
  • Surprise!!!!!
That last cookie is not so much a surprise as a "I haven't decided on the last kind to make yet" kind of cookie. I was thinking of making peanut butter cookies for The Boy, but I really want to make some sort of pumpkin cookie. Maybe a pumpkin spice ginger snap type thing? I need to find a recipe though.

No comments: